9.10.2013

airing my no-so-dirty laundry

I have a confession. I love to do laundry, and always have. I'm not joking. Nothing makes me happier than stacks of freshly folded laundry lying neatly on my closet shelves, or in my dresser drawers. It would be fair to say that I definitely "keep up" on my laundry. In fact, it rarely sits in the hamper for more than one day. My husband laughs at the fact that he will wear something one day, and it will be clean and lying neatly in his drawer the next morning. Honestly, it's a bit of an obsession. Most women I know don't share my passion for bright whites. I'm not sure why, but I'm definitely in the minority on this one. I've been trying to evaluate where this love has come from and what contributes to it. Here are the facts I've gathered so far:

#1. I hate the smell of stink. No matter the source. Under no circumstances is anything wet allowed to sit anywhere in my laundry room. If an article of clothing is wet, it must be dried outside before it can be put in a hamper. As a result, I don't allow laundry to sit around too long before I get after it, leaving my laundry room smelling nice and fresh all *most of the time. *There is a bathroom next to my laundry room:) 

#2. I don't have a cluttered laundry room. So often, laundry rooms are used as a dumping ground for all of those things that don't have a real home. Why is that?? That's what storage rooms are for, right? It's not that you shouldn't store other things in that room, just make sure you have ample storage for everything that has to be in there, and get rid of what doesn't have to be in there. A clean and organized laundry room makes you want to stay... and do laundry.  

#3. I put fresh flowers in my laundry room. Laugh if you must, but personally, I think this one's a biggie. If I could only choose one room to put fresh flowers in, It would probably be my laundry room. No, it would definitely be my laundry room. My master bedroom would come in a close second, but the laundry room would win every time. Why? I have no idea. I've just been doing it for a long time and it makes me smile. I highly recommend it. 

#4. I love the paint color on my walls. It's different than any of the other paint colors in my house and I went through painstaking effort to find just the right color. It's cheery... and bright... and clean. Just like my laundry:)

#5. I love stacks of folded clothing. I tend to be a bit anal-retentive. I just like the way stacks of clothes look when they are all evenly lined up leaving equal space between the rows and facing the same direction, all color-coded and... well... you get the gist.
Am I weird??

#6. I use white towels in my laundry room. Nothing says clean like bright white. I like white... a lot. I also have a large drawer filled with said bright white towels. Just in case a dirty hand or two gets dried on the towel that's hanging up. (This is making me sound a little crazy, isn't it?)

#7. I have front loaders. I made the switch about 13 years ago and have never looked back. My only regret?... getting the pedestals instead of putting a countertop across the top for folding. (I'm contemplating a change.)

#8. I have a very large window in my laundry room. The sun streams through this room like no other room in the house. It has a northern exposure which is the best kind of window light, if you ask me. Which nobody did, but I'm telling you anyway. Big window = no dungeon-like atmosphere. Plenty of sunlight = happy laundry doer. It's simple math. 

All of these things contribute to my love for doing laundry. Beyond that, it's a total mystery to me where this passion has come from. I realize that this post is completely frivolous, but hey, it's all I've got today. Bear with me... 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, if only I shared your same passion! I loathe laundry. Loathe it entirely. Of course, my laundry room has resided in that black hole called the unfinished portion of the basement for the last 14 years. That may be a slight contributor. There are certainly no fresh flowers in my laundry room. In fact, it is part of the storage room. There are no windows. Do you see my problem?