2.02.2013
Monthly Health Challenge :: February
I did NOT want to do it. I am not at all suited for it. I have been having nightmares about it for days now. My anxiety level has definitely been on the rise. Let me share with you a few reasons why:
1. I just got back from a cruise on which I am sure I gained at least 10 lbs. from eating non-stop, day and night for a full week.
2. I finished physical therapy on my shoulder in November and don't feel that I have regained even a smidgen of my upper body strength.
3. I suffer from claustrophobia. When a person has claustrophobia, the last thing they want to be doing is standing with their face 1/4 of an inch away from a wall for hours on end.
4. I had to wear spandex. Nuff said...
5. I'm old... which is even more apparent when you are flanked by your 20-something daughters and there is no one over the age of 30 in sight.
6. I have a foot injury that I've been dealing with for at least 6 months now. I need to go get it checked. I'm dragging my feet(no pun intended). It feels suspiciously like the stress fracture I had on the other foot 12 years ago. I'm hoping that if I avoid it, it will go away. But, in the meantime, it is killing me. Believe me, nothing feels better on a stress fracture that a pointy foothold that is supporting all of your body weight.
7. Did I mention the 10 additional pounds?
But, when all was said and done, I went. Kicking and screaming, mind you. I went for one reason and one reason only. Because it was Brooke's birthday and she really wanted me to go rock climbing. She is good at it. Really, really good. She said it would make her happy, and I will do anything to make her happy. Especially on her birthday. And so, I went. I pulled up my big girl britches and threw on a smile. And then I started to shake. Oh how I shook! I was so frightened at first, and extremely intimidated. But in the end, I had a blast. And, most importantly, Brooke was happy:)
Why am I sharing this story with you? Because I feel empowered. There is nothing like overcoming a fear, going out of your comfort zone and accomplishing something challenging. It truly is a great feeling. And so, with this in mind, my monthly health challenge for the month of February is to get out and try something new. Challenge your body in a way that you never have before. Overcome a fear or take up a new sport. It's not so much about HOW we move, as it is about just making sure we DO move. Exercise is so important. Keeping it fresh and exciting can really help you stay motivated. So, get out and try something new this month. You might just find a new activity that you love.
P.S. My friend called me yesterday and asked me to go bowling with her. Why not, right?? Perhaps that's my next new thing.
P.S.S. I'll have to wait until my arms recover. Right now they feel like noodles:)
Labels:
life lessons,
Monthly Health Challenge,
sports
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am very ashamed that you did not put a picture of yourself on this post. I will make up for it on my blog though. :) I'm so proud of you!
Wow! I can't believe you didn't put a picture of you on this post. I am sure you look better than the gal in the photo!
Post a Comment