11.18.2012

heading south for the winter

When the weather starts to turn cold, I tend to develop an intense craving for good old-fashioned comfort foods. Most of the comfort foods that I love are oozing with melted cheeses, rich creamy sauces or delicious buttery goodness. They are usually not the most healthy eating choices. So, I thought I would pass along a recipe for the upcoming winter season that is hearty, healthy and delicious.

Southwest Chicken Wraps:
     1 cup cooked rice 
     1 cup cooked, chopped chicken
     1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
     1 green onion, finely sliced
     1/2 red or green pepper, diced
     1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
     Juice of one lime
     1/2 tablespoon chili powder
     1 teaspoon cumin
     1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
     2 cups shredded cheese
     sour cream (optional)
     6 burrito-size tortillas

Mix together rice, chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and sour cream. Lay out a tortilla and spread about 1 tablespoon of sour cream  on top leaving about a 1/2 inch border around tortilla. Top with shredded cheese. Next, lay rice mixture down the center and roll leaving edges open. Spray tortillas all over with cooking spray and lay seam-side down in a large non-stick skillet. Grill until golden brown. 

I like to top mine with additional sour cream and salsa. These babies are very filling and yummy. For additional healthy goodness, you can substitute plain greek yogurt for the sour cream and use brown rice and whole wheat tortillas. Give this recipe a try and see what you think. It's pretty quick and the wraps can be frozen and eaten another day. It's a great make-ahead idea for lunches too. Hope you enjoy!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

These. Are. So. Delicious!!!!!

Unknown said...

These. Are. So. Delicious!!!!!