Last week I was at lunch with a group of friends from my neighborhood. They are all empty nesters like me and are in their 50's and 60's. We were talking about all kinds of random things and the subject of my guitar lessons came up. Apparently, one of my friends is just so baffled by the idea that I am investing my time and money in learning the guitar "at my age". I asked them all if there wasn't something that they had always wanted to learn or do in their life that they just hadn't gotten around to doing yet. I told them that now is the time to do it. Now is the time to spread our wings and fly!!
All I heard was crickets................... and you should have seen the looks on their faces. "Seriously, not a single thing?" I said. One of them finally piped up and admitted she had always wanted to pilot a plane and go skydiving (not necessarily on the same trip).
I was shocked, to say the least. One might even say speechless. And one would be right. My bucket list is still so long that I'm sure I will run out of time before it's all accomplished.
I then got a three minute lecture on the value of being content with life.... (the crickets were coming from me this time). I may be WAY off base here, but I've still got living to do. Continuing to grow and learn and experience everything life has to offer in no way means I am not content. In fact, I love my life. I just want more of it!!
I would love to hear your opinion on the subject. Do share!
** Just a little side note: The picture above was featured at Focusing on Life this month! The theme was water, and it was a great privilege to have one of my photos chosen. Thanks ladies! :)

2 comments:
I agree! I hope when I am your age (old fogie) that I am able to accomplish as much as you do. I don't foresee me being able to achieve all my hopes and dreams during this phase of life. I'm just focused on keeping me and mato alive...and dallin. There is a time and season for everything...you are in your adventurous stage!
I'm proud of you for fulfilling dreams. It gives me hope. So just tell those sistren to YAP IT!
Sister, empty buckets are boring! I say keep your bucket full! We are meant to have hopes and dreams, even as we age. In fact, I think we have better hopes and dreams as we age. Just sayin.
Post a Comment