2.23.2012

Touching On Retouching

I have some very strong opinions about advertising.
Well, certain kinds of advertising.
As I was looking through a catalog today,
I was once again 
reminded of how "not real" the images I was looking at were.
It concerns me.
I'm afraid for my daughters
and my future granddaughters.
So many beautiful images.
So many beautiful people.
So little of it real.
My eyes have been pried wide open
since I became more interested in photography.
It's amazing to see what can be done 
to enhance a picture.
For example,
I took this picture today
of some beautiful ripe bananas sitting on my counter.



The only problem is,
this is what they really look like.


And that is with just a few minutes of retouching.
See what I mean?

Theodore Roosevelt once said:
COMPARISON IS THE 
THIEF OF JOY.



I really believe that.

I worry that young girls
(and not so young girls) everywhere
 are out there comparing themselves 
to images of other people that aren't even accurate.
Images that make them feel inferior.
Not pretty enough.
Not thin enough, etc.

It's a little disturbing, to be honest.

And so, I say to my daughters
and everyone else who might read this blog. . .

BE HAPPY WITH WHO YOU ARE. 
LET'S CELEBRATE OUR DIFFERENCES.
BE YOURSELF AND BE PROUD OF IT!
STOP COMPARING AND FIND YOUR JOY:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so cute ranby.... You go girl! And... Was it by chance your athleta catalog? Cuz seriously, there is no way people really look like that.