2.22.2012

Mmmmmediterranean

A few years ago,
I spent a little bit of time in Santorini, Greece.


It is a beautiful city 
that is literally built into the side of the cliffs.
If you have ever seen 
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,
then you have seen Santorini.
It was filmed there and looks exactly like it does in the movie.

I tried a little bit of Greek cuisine 
while I was there,
and I have to say,
I was less than impressed.
I don't know if we just went to the wrong places
or tried the wrong foods,
but I was very happy to get back home 
to my American food.

That was then. . . 
Since that time,
I have tried several Mediterranean foods
and have fallen in love with it.
I just can't seem to get enough.

I was craving it again tonight 
and thought I would share a little recipe
(well, not actually a recipe -- more of an idea)
for a quick mediterranean dish.

First, you need orzo.
Its a small macaroni product that is shaped like slivered almonds.
Mine is whole wheat, but you can also get regular.
Cook that up along with some chicken.
Dice the chicken up and add it to the orzo.
Throw in some grape tomatoes and baby spinach leaves,
some cucumbers, olives,
green spanish olives, and kalamata olives (purple).
Artichoke hearts and bell peppers are also good,
if you have them kicking around.
I also added mushrooms.
Top it with some kosher salt, 
cracked black pepper, and fresh lemon juice.
Then, drizzle it with olive oil 
to keep it moist.
So fresh.
So yummy.
So Greek.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well arent you healthy. I made tacos. Ya know, beef, beans, cheese, sour cream...the works. Not so healthy. And colorful olives scare me.