2.15.2012

Soup's On

I went on a trip to Scotland 
about 5 years ago.
It was the greenest, most beautiful place
I had ever been.
It rained a lot 
and was humid and cold most of the trip.
Needless to say,
we enjoyed a lot of porridge 
and warm soup along the way.
Scotland is where I fell in love with
butternut squash soup.
I had never had it before that trip.
There was something about it
that was absolutely heavenly.
When I got home,
I searched for recipes to duplicate it.
Nothing even came close.
Most of the recipes had 
cinnamon, nutmeg or apple juice in them.
If you ask me,
which you didn't,
but if you did,
I think those ingredients 
belong in wassail, not soup.
Anyway, after many attempts
I gave up on finding a 
"Scottish-type" butternut squash soup recipe.
I will just have to go back to Scotland :)
to get the real McCoy.
I have found one recipe, though, 
that helps me get through my cravings.
It's pretty simple,
not as rich and creamy,
but still very good.
It also gives me an intense desire
to put on a kilt and play the bagpipes!
Go figure.


     2 lbs. butternut squash (peeled,cubed,steamed and pureed
     in a food processor or blender).
     In saucepan: sauté one diced onion, 4 oz. canadian bacon,   
     diced,and 4 tsp. olive oil for approximately 5 minutes.
     Add to squash in food processor. 
     Add 2 cups chicken broth.
     Puree until smooth.
     Pour in a large pan.
     Add 1 additional cup of chicken broth.
     Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
     Top with fresh ground pepper and crostinis. 
     



3 comments:

Brooke said...

See the leaf sitting next to the bowl of soup?

That's what butternut squash soup tastes like.

Robyn said...

okay . . . that's just mean. Pay no attention to the carnivore in the corner!

Wahlin7 said...

if you make...I will come;)