4.12.2013

the waiting is over

I've been waiting for just the right time to photograph my tulips. I thought they were going to bloom last week, but the cooler temperatures kept that from happening. I've been ho-humming around impatiently looking out the window several times a day in the hopes that I can capture them at the perfect time. Today, I came across the little quote above on Pinterest and it made me think. Am I guilty of this? Especially in my photography? Always waiting for the planets to line up to capture that perfect moment, which often times never comes. And then I started thinking about other areas of my life and realized that it's a fairly common thing for me to put off things until another day "when the weather is better", or "when I have less to do", or "when the timing is right." I have come to the conclusion that this is something I probably need to change. I tend to be a bit of a scheduler. I like to make a plan and stick to it. (My kids will laugh when they read this post) Spontaneity is not one of my strong suits. However, I am surrounded by family members who thrive in this area. I also have several close friends who fly by the seat of their pants on a daily basis. I am constantly in awe of their ability to just drop everything and do something on the spur of the moment. After a couple hours of mulling this over in my mind, I've come to this conclusion: Life is short. Don't wait around for everything to be perfect. It seldom ever is. I've also taken my own advise and shot my tulips just the way they are. True, this may not be a traditional tulip photo, but I like it. It has personality. I even managed to capture a little bokeh.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Lovely bud, they seem to be teasing you but they will.

Carol said...

Love the image and the quote. Makes me think too...

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting on mine to bloom, too!!
Love your photo. :)