10.19.2012

daily bread

Yesterday, I decided to chip away at my Fall List by baking some bread. I got a great recipe for delicious whole wheat bread from Brittany, and it seemed like the perfect day to do a little baking. I even got out the wheat grinder and ground my own flour to make it extra good. The loaves were rising beautifully and everything was looking perfect. . . until 10 minutes into the baking process. It started to smell a little smokey in my kitchen, and there was a distinct odor of burning bread. I ran to the oven and whipped open the door only to see 4 loaves of whole wheat bread that were black on top. Well, at least very dark brown. It had only been 10 minutes!!! The loaves still had 20 minutes to bake. I checked the oven temperature and it was set at 350 degrees, which was correct. I have no idea what happened. I've been having this problem every time I bake bread. It's like my broiler comes on and scorches the top of my bread. Talk about frustrating!! It's especially puzzling because I have a relatively new oven and it's a top of the line model. Aughhhh!!! On the bright side, I did manage to save one of the smaller loaves, and it was quite delicious if I do say so myself. Rest assured, I will solve this mystery. There has got to be something wrong with my oven. I will get to the bottom of it. . . or get a new oven:)

No comments: