7.12.2012

still learning.....

I made a mistake today. A mistake from the grandparents 101 book of life. I should have known better, but it was my first offense. At least I think it was. My daughter came to me for support. She was dealing with a "raising a two year old" issue and just needed a listening ear. Instead I gave her a speaking mouth. She had already decided how to deal with the issue, but because it was a foreign idea to me, I questioned it...sending her into a bit of an emotional episode. I had forgotten what it was like...you know, making decisions as a capable adult, only to realize that you still care what your parents think. Having one hand grasped firmly on your plan of action, only to have your mother suggest something completely different. Questioning if you are a good parent because you can't do it like your mom did. Wondering if things will ever get easier. I wish I had a do-over. Times change, and so do parenting styles. I don't want her to be torn between what she feels is right, and pleasing me. She pleases me no matter what. I should be there as a support, not another obstacle. Just so you know, she is a wonderful mother and I am always so proud of her. Today I have learned a lesson. It's good to step back, just a bit, and allow your children a little breathing room. A little room helps things grow better. Life is an individual journey for each of us, to be traveled at our own pace. Let's hope I have learned my meddling lesson in just one small dose. I love you Britt!!

No comments: