4.23.2012

My Purple Passion


Growing up,
we had snowball bushes and lilac bushes
in our backyard.
I didn’t care much for the snowball bushes.
They were pretty and all,
but the smell left a lot to be desired.
The lilac bushes, on the other hand,
were my favorite thing in the yard.
I loved the way they looked
with their beautiful purple flowers,
and I especially loved the way they smelled.
I looked forward to every spring when they would bloom.
My mom would occasionally pick some
and put them in a vase in the house.

Now, I have a lilac bush growing
just outside my bedroom window.
It blossomed this weekend
and is absolutely beautiful.
The smell is downright intoxicating.
Last year’s pruning job
resulted in fewer blooms than usual,
so I won’t be picking as many as I had wanted to.
But, I will enjoy them for the next month or so
when their scent fills my bedroom each morning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

isnt intoxicating a bad thing???