4.25.2012

Just A Trim Please

I love this time of year.
Everything is starting to turn green,
the tulips are in their full glory
and the trees are finally leafing out.
The only hard thing about it is
all of the work that has to be done
to get ready for summer.
Things like 
putting mulch in the flower beds,
fertilizing the lawn,
cleaning out the rain gutters,
spraying off the patio furniture
and pruning all of the trees.

I really needed to get my trees 
pruned by a professional this year.
We have three little-leaf lindens
in the backyard
that have gotten too big to do ourselves.


I asked around for a recommendation
and settled on "Ben" who came
recommended by a couple of people.
I met Ben last week
as he came out to give me a bid on the job.
I walked him around the yard 
and he got a general idea 
of what needed to be done.
We were doing great...
"just a little clean up," he said...
until we got to the three linden trees.
"Oh..........". 
(ten minute pause)
I waited...
"What?" I finally asked.
He went on to explain to me 
that while lindens 
are one of his favorite trees,
they do have some negative characteristics
that have to be death with early on.
Early, as in within the first two years.
Now that is a problem 
since my trees are twelve years old.
He talked to me about 
what it would take to fix the issues,
and then went on to outline
future prunings that would need to be done.
Now, keep in mind these trees 
are Bob's favorite trees.
He purposely planted them
to have a canopy effect.
We had planned on 
hanging a hammock in them this summer,
and the last thing he told me
before I had Ben come was
"do anything you want, just don't 
mess with those three trees."
My heart sunk.
What to do?
After talking some more with Ben,
he convinced me that in the long run
it really would be best 
to fix the issues now.
I took his advise and scheduled the service.

Since then,I have done nothing but stew 
about my decision.
I've gone back and forth
about calling and cancelling my appointment.
 In fact, Ben didn't show up yesterday,
 as he had planned.
I wondered if it was a sign.
But, he showed up this morning,
chain saw in hand,
and a smile on his face.

I took a deep breath 
and led him to the backyard.
I told him I had to leave for an hour
to go see a friend.
I thought it was probably best 
if I didn't watch.
I asked him before I left 
if he would please try to make sure
they looked as good as possible
when he was finished.
He assured me he would.

An hour later, I came down the street
to this huge pile in my front yard.


It doesn't look that significant
in this photo,
but it looks a lot bigger in real life.
My neighbor asked me when I walked by
if I was cutting down all of my trees.
Yikes!
My heart was beating fast.
I walked into the backyard
and saw my slightly thinner lindens,
looking all perky and cute.

Whew!! What a relief!
I was very happy with what I saw.
Ben assured me 
that they will fill in more 
throughout the summer.
He also said 
we have probably added
many years to their lives.

We may have to put off the hammock
for a year or two,
but it will be worth it.
I am so happy with all of the trees
that were pruned.
And the best part....
Ben had to leave for a few hours
to assist on another job.
He scheduled a chipper to come back
and remove all of the limbs from my yard.
I wanted to pay him before he left,
but he wouldn't hear of it.
"Not until every last twig is picked up,"
he said, promising to be back 
in an hour or two.
Ahhhh..... the sweet smell of integrity.
It's been a while since I have smelled that
from a company.
Anybody need a good, reputable arborist?
Give me a call.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And the best part about it is wooda got to watch every last branch be nipped....and he loved it. I have a hunch bob wont be able to get upset about much after he makes it home from this little "adventure".