Today was one of those days.
The kind where you wake up
to the sun streaming through your windows,
and the sound of birds chirping.
You're confused for a minute because it sounds like Spring.
You go to the window expecting to see a tulip or two
emerging from the ground,
but instead you see a blanket of frost on the lawn,
and the smoke coming out of the pipes on your neighbors roof.
Sure enough,
it's still winter.
Don't despair.
Days like this are perfect for a little of this.
A warm, delicious bowl of oatmeal
(topped with brown sugar and walnuts, of course).
Nothing could be more satisfying.
I did a little research today while I was enjoying my oatmeal
and found out some interesting facts.
Did you know . . .
- Oatmeal was one of the first grains discovered.
- Scotland has the perfect climate for growing oats.
- At one time, there was an actual holiday celebrating oats in Scotland called Meal Monday.
- Oats are one of the least eaten available foods in the world with only 5% of the crop being consumed by humans. (we need to change that!)
Allow me to step up on my soap box for a minute
and share a few nutritional facts about oatmeal.
- Oatmeal helps you loose weight by reducing cravings for other unhealthy foods.
- Oatmeal leads to a healthier heart. All of the nutrients in oatmeal benefit our heart in some way.
- Oatmeal helps lower bad cholesterol.
- Oatmeal is very good for the health of your teeth.
Plus, it's just so darn good.
Okay, that's the end of my speech.
Okay, that's the end of my speech.
Now go eat a bowl of oatmeal!

1 comment:
Of course Scotland has the best oats. I mean, do you remember that porridge???? Best. Thing. Ever. I do believe I shall have myself some boaters tomorrow morning. Thanks for the inspiration! I've got my workout sitting on my counter and my shoes ready to go. Now lets just hope wooda doesn't pull at 6:15 wakeup time. Otherwise I may be calling you :) I think it's gonna be a good day!
Post a Comment